Remodeling your home and need a new meter base installed? Has the city or utility company required that you upgrade your meter base on your older home? Master Electrical Service can help you with that!
What is a Meter Base
The meter base is the unit that holds the utility companies meter. It is placed between the utility company’s wires and where it comes into your home. The actual meter calculates the amount of electricity that passes through or consider it as how much you use so that the utility company knows how much to charge you.
Meter Bases are pretty robust and do not need to replace often, but here are some of the following are reasons why a meter base may need to be replaced.
- Your meter base may be old and outdated – potentially not up to city electrical code.
- It may not pass under the current National Electrical Code (NEC), which usually means not up to city codes. In the event a home is sold, the new owner may request for it first to be replaced.
- If a permit is pulled with a city for other electrical work being performed at the home, the city may require that the meter base be brought up to current code as well.
- If needed to increase the size of the electrical service in the home can also require a new meter base.
- Upgrading the electrical panel in the home, it may be necessary to replace the meter base.
- Safety is our number one concern. If you have questions about the safety of your meter, base, or have any questions, please contact us.